I feel like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh in my training. Seriously.
Remember how I was suppose to fly with another instructor today? Yeah, that didn’t happen.
I got there and preflighted the plane and waited until 12pm. I thought it was a different instructor than it actually was, but that’s fine. I got called over to the desk and there was a problem, he (CFI #3) could not fly in the 152. Really? They originally had me with a different CFI (#2) first, but switched at the last minute. The original CFI (#2) could fit in the 152 but had a lesson scheduled in the light sport, so he wasn’t switching. There was one other instructor (#4), he did my progress check, but apparently he couldn’t do it, nor would I really want to face him again. So I was sent home. No flying, no ground time, or anything. Four hours and $26.50 wasted on getting out there.
When I was on the subway home my regular instructor texted asking how it went and I told her what happened. She thought it was ridiculous and apologized for that happening to me saying it wasn’t fair that it happened to me. I sent an awkward text back saying I’m just kind of use to everything going wrong in my training, weather, planes being gone, work schedules…and I told her it wasn’t her fault.
Where do I go from here? I’ve been feeling stuck and pushed around a bit lately. My boyfriend is home today and he thinks I should just quit, at least from a money stand point. Almost $5,000 spent thus far, his reasoning is I could probably have a lot more fun for less in another hobby. He asked if I was even having fun anymore. I don’t even know. I do when I get to fly and I do well, but there is a lot of frustration.
I actually took an Irish Dance class last night, my first in 6 years. I had a lot of fun for 2 hours, it was hard to get back into shape and learn new steps but I picked it back up quickly. Something I’m good at and it only cost me $30 for that time.
I look at it as here are my options: 1. Try to stick it out 2. Switch instructors, see if I can get landings with someone else and whose schedule is more open (question is, who is able to fly the 152) 3. Switch schools, go to one that doesn’t have these major screw ups and feels a bit more welcoming 4. Cut my losses and quit.
Today has been emotional for me from happy to upset to frustrated to angry back to upset to annoyed. So I know I can’t make the decision today. I might take a discovery flight with another school just to see how it is. I haven’t really figured out what I’m doing. I’ll keep you updated as I know.